Thursday 21 July 2011

On to the next one

Rap/Hip Hop Scene
On a Rap/Hip Hop scene I'm hedging three bets this summer which are Ghostpoet, Sound of Rum and Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All (OFWGKTA).
I will start off with the runner in this year's Mercury Awards Ghostpoet. My first thoughts on Ghostpoet are if Roots Manuva rapped on a hangover he would sound like this. That's not a bad thing, in fact his soft whispering voice and backing Trip-Hop beats are perfect for slowly drinking yourself into a stupor on a summers evening. Ghostpoet has recently brought out his debut album Peanut Butter Blues and Melancholy Jam.


Ghostpoet’s style is that of a lucid dream and patter of melancholy, his content spans a myriad of life experiences, similar to that of The Streets. Ghostpoet succinctly analyses all the troubles we daily face; relationships, drugs and depression a musical social commentator.  Run Run Run remains my favourite track so far with lyrics such as;


‘Rain ain't soothing it jus' soak deep'n'side bones and dark in a darker tone. But, light seeps to pitter through. On and off like light-switch, nothing more that I could do.’

His sound is so chilled even he sounds half asleep, I love it.


Check out;

Ghostpoet - Cash and Carry Me Home

Ghostpoet - Run Run Run

Ghospoet - Liiines

Ghostpoet - Survive It

Arrogant Rating: 4/5 (Insight into the phantasm of life)

Second in line is Sound of Rum who is ripping up the UK hip-hop scene with Kate Tempest’s mind melting lyrics which split your ear drums with piercing delivery. These are the type of hyperbolic compliments being thrown around the hip-hop water cooler.  I must admit her lyrics are incredible with context that can rival the Poet Laureate’s and in that respect she deserves all this praise; however for me in general it is the accompaniment to Kate’s lyrics that are generally languid. Apart from their single Slow Slow, I feel like Kate has let herself down. On the other hand their live performance is meant to be outstanding.
Sound of Rum – Slow Slow
Arrogant Rating: 2.5/5 (Are you wasted?)   
Finally, the Rap group which is setting alight to America, leaving a wake of burning geriatric Rappers is Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All (OFWGKTA). Led by Tyler, The Creator (20) OFWGKTA has completely caught me off guard with its diabolic lyrics and skull smashing beats. Their explosive content reminds me a bit of some of the apocalyptic sounds from Foreign Beggars - Asylum Speakers (2003). I must stress that comparison can only be taken lightly, as these guys are in a world of their own. I generally stay clear from the American Rap scene but these guys are sick. I particularly enjoy Tyler, The Creator’s repertoire, his flow is actually hypnotising. The person who stole it for me was Tyler’s nephew Earl Sweatshirt (17) his cheeky but still menacing style makes him future for me, this duo is unstoppable. Oh yeah, did I mention they skateboard!


So the stagnant ageing waters which is the American Rap scene has just been doused with chlorine, put your fucking trunks on! Oh yeah, did I mention they skateboard!


Check out;
OFWGKTA – Orange Juice
Tyler the Creator, Earl Sweatshirt - AssMilk
Tyler the Creator - Yonkers  
Arrogant Rating – 4/5 (Certainly killed them all)


As an afterthought; just this minute I have heard Roots Manuva’s new song with Toddla TWatch me dance. Thoughts on the matter; you know it’s going to be big, and it’s like heroine, you might throw up the first time but you know you are hooked. I preferred his less mainstream catalogue, but this certainly is addictive.

Arrogant Rating – 3.5/5 ( I’d throw shapes to it)

No comments:

Post a Comment